The Quantum Angler
He never gets Bohred of fishing.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Google Chrome

I decided to have a look at Google Chrome. I've been resisting it, partly because Google already control enough of my life, and partly because Firefox is really good. But the speed of Firefox has started to annoy me lately, and I thought I'd give Chrome a try.

Almost straight away I've found a couple of features that ruin the experience for me:
  • You can't remove the "Other bookmarks" folder from the bookmarks toolbar. That's a good 4cm of wasted space as far as I'm concerned, which slightly cheapens the claim that Chrome doesn't waste space like Firefox.
  • There is too much space in between bookmarks on the toolbar. In firefox, I can edit some files and change this without too much trouble, but from what I've read this is not customisable in Chrome. I'm the kind of guy who keeps his browser windowed and likes to cram in bookmarks on his toolbar, so this ain't going to work.
  • The home button is not shown by default. Rather annoying.
  • You have to manually switch to a new tab when you open it. This is probably fixable.
On the other hand, it definitely is faster than Firefox, and doesn't require a raft of extensions just to hide all the unnecessary crap from the screen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home