The Quantum Angler
He never gets Bohred of fishing.

Monday, August 14, 2006

The joy of weekends

Weekends. Oh how I've missed thee. For months, the simple pleasure of a weekend has escaped me; that is until now.

But hark, I hear the cries of disbelief. You wonder how anyone could miss out on weekends for so long. You may even allege I am taking nonsense for the sake of a blog. Well you'd be wrong. For as long as I can remember I have either been studying or pissing around; during Imperial finals you don't have the luxury of weekends, and once exams are over you monkey around all week anyway to the point where there's nothing really different about a Saturday. But now that I'm taking a short break in what's known as the "real world", weekends have revealed themselves to be a precious comodity.

Wikipedia defines a weekend as "a time for leisure and recreation, and/or for religious activities." Taking this advice to heart, I sought to resolve my recent weekends in the appropriate manner, as set out by Wiki. I began with religion. Bit of a toughie if you're not religious, I mean what could I worship if not a deity? It didn't take long for the answer to come to me, and it tasted great.

"Hop"ping on the first train to London after work, I reached the Great British Beer Festival in the early evening. I met up with regular drinking buddy Alex in the queue, and we braced ourselves for a glorious night of real-ale at that holy temple of beer, Earl's Court Exhibition Centre. After purchasing an extortionately over-priced glass, Alex and I wasted no time hunting out the funniest-sounding ales. Then once our immediate ale-thirst had been quenched, we met up with fellow revellers Pete, Damien, Marc, the Dude Next Door and others. It was then time for some food, and what better way to fill our bellies than emptying a large portion of our wallets into the coffers of a curry vendor with a monopoly that stretched as far as we could be arsed to look. This tactic produced a medium/large-sized portion of chicken tikka, which was quite tasty.

The rest of the evening proceeded roughly as one might expect, with the exception that Alex didn't remove his clothes. He did however, attempt to have oral sex with a life-sized glass-fibre cow (see figure above), and were it not for an irate security guard he might have succeeded. Following this festival of beer we retired to Damien's flat for port and cheese. Along the way we stopped off at Tesco's to acquire said foodstuffs, and of course to use the disabled toilet. The evening ended in a very civilised fashion as we discussed life, women, and the works of Isaac Asimov on the roof while sipping port and eating Danish Blue.


The following weekend I sought to serve up the other two ingredients for a good weekend, leisure and recreation. For this I headed to the scenic Chiltern hills in Buckinghamshire, home of rich people, Pete's brewery and relatively recent acquaintance of the QA's, Library Girl (anonymity preserved!). Recreation took the form of a night out in Aylesbury accompanied by Pete, LG and various friends thereof. Despite many desperate attempts to convince me that Aylesbury sucked, I was actually left with quite a good impression (Pete - come for a 'night out' in Chippenham, I'll show you a real crappy chav-infested town!). The next day we achieved leisure with a stroll around Combe Hill (OK... we drove there and walked for 5 minutes, but it counts!).

So there you have it, the recipe for a good weekend! Now, back to the real world...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home