The Quantum Angler
He never gets Bohred of fishing.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Rant of the week: People who walk out in front of cars

It's been a while since I had a good ole' rant on the QA, but this one has been festering for a while. It's a minor annoyance really, but hey, if you're going to change the world, you have to start somewhere! So here goes.

The scenario is this. You're walking along a main road when you get to a bit where a smaller road joins onto it. To cut a long story short, you need to cross this smaller road in order to continue on your journey. So you look around for cars, and notice a car indicating to turn off the main road. "I'd better wait before crossing" you conclude wisely. The guy next to you, however, is thinking differently. He's the guy who neglected to heed the pragmatic advice of the Green Cross Code man when he was a kid. I can only guess the thought chain that goes through his head must be along the lines of "I'm probably more important than the driver of that car, so I deserve priority in spite of well-established road traffic conventions." I'm sure you can see where I'm going, basically he walks out in front of the car.

Fair enough, you might say. "Serves the car driver right for not using public transport" you point out, "and heck, if this dude want to risk his life walking out into the road then that's his problem!" My objection stems from the fact that I've already committed myself to waiting for this car, and now I have to wait for the car to wait for this jerk to cross the road. And this is more common than you might think, it seems to happen to me up to several times a week! Indeed, recent studies have shown that the average commuter will waste around 10 minutes of his life in precisely this situation!

So Mr Jackass, next time you're hauling your vastly over sized ego to work, think about the sensible pedestrian walking beside you, and do the right thing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home